Cleanings & Prevention
Dental Exams & Cleanings
When you visit our office a comprehensive dental exam will be performed by one of our skilled doctors here at Rockhouse Dentistry during the initial visit. At regular check-up exams, one of our dentists and his professional hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): An essential part of preventive dentistry is the detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by registered dental hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris and saliva. The bacteria produces toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
Teeth polishing: Removes stains and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule an appointment for a preventive dentistry procedure, please contact us today. All of us at Rockhouse Dentistry look forward to providing you with the personal care you deserve and expect from a family dentistry in Rexburg, ID.